Two years ago I was diagnosed with Fibromyalgia, Gastroparesis and Hashimoto's Thyroiditis. I thought that these diseases were going to take over my life and that I would forever be overweight and unhealthy. Then something changed. I realized that this is my body and I have control over what goes in to it and that through changing my diet and workout habits I could take control. I have also spent more time in prayer and in scripture learning more about God and how much He loves me. I have been on an incredible journey for the past year and I want to share it with everyone!

Sunday, March 4, 2012

Finding Peace in Frustration


There are a million thoughts racing through my mind- Why didn’t I do this or why didn’t I say that? How could I have let this happen or how can this person be so blind? I am extremely frustrated and can’t get them to stop. I have given the issue to God, but the thoughts still persist. I know that we have all been there and when it gets like this it’s even more frustrating than the issue that we are frustrated about in the first place. 

I have found that we all probably have something that calms and soothes our souls. For some it could be scrapbooking, crafting, writing, drawing, chopping wood, exercising, just about anything- it really just depends on YOU. For me it is decorating or anything that has to do with it. I can spend hours looking for the perfect fabric for a window treatment and it is relaxing. A week and a half ago I was super frustrated and decided to paint my dining room by myself and it got rid of all my frustrations and I was very happy with the way my room turned out. I love hanging pictures on the wall or just getting ideas for my room layout. Decorating is my creative outlet. 

I can also get the same results with decorating a cake, baking something yummy or cooking a fantastic meal. I can spend hours making gum paste roses. I love seeing the end results of spending hours decorating a cake and hearing how much everyone enjoyed eating it. It may not always be something that a professional would do but my kids, husband and other family members and those are the only people I usually make cakes for. I love trying a new recipe and hearing the delight from my husband and kids as they take the first few bites and knowing that it is a keeper. I love even more coming up with my own recipes (such as my lasagna) and making it time after time knowing that everyone will enjoy it and will be talking about it for days to come. 

When I decorate, cook or bake, I always do it because I want others to be happy. Decorating our new place is about making it a home for our family. Everything that I do is husband approved. The kitchen and dining room reflect my personality, but those are where I spend my time while the living room reflects more of my husband’s personality. He spends more time with the kids in there- that’s where they play their video games and so it should be something that reflects him. When I cook, I do it because not only do I want to nourish my family, I want them to enjoy it as well. I want them to look back and know that I wanted them to enjoy what they put into their bodies. I want my kids to ask for recipes to share with their wives or to cook for their families. 

I hope that you have things that bring you peace when you are frustrated. If not, then I encourage you to find something that expresses who you are and start throwing your heart into. It will help your wellness because it really does help you discover who God made you to be. I used to worry that God didn’t give me any other talent than being able to sing in church, but when I grew up I discovered that He gives all something, sometimes it just takes some of us a little longer to find them.

1 comment:

  1. Awesome post Stacy. It blessed me today and I pray it will bless many others.

    ReplyDelete