Two years ago I was diagnosed with Fibromyalgia, Gastroparesis and Hashimoto's Thyroiditis. I thought that these diseases were going to take over my life and that I would forever be overweight and unhealthy. Then something changed. I realized that this is my body and I have control over what goes in to it and that through changing my diet and workout habits I could take control. I have also spent more time in prayer and in scripture learning more about God and how much He loves me. I have been on an incredible journey for the past year and I want to share it with everyone!

Tuesday, March 6, 2012

The power of a research paper...


I learned something new yesterday- what we write about, regardless of the reason that we are doing it- can greatly impact our emotions. I had a research paper due for my abnormal psych class last night and I decided that I would do it on depression. The more I wrote, the more down I got. 

I know the symptoms of depression and I know how controlling it can be as a mental illness. I spent part of my teens and early 20’s battling it and never want to go back that, but within a mere few hours yesterday just doing this one paper and I was that person all over again. I was moody- frustrated, upset one minute, in tears the next. I felt alone and like I had no one in the world here for me. It is amazing how much influence something so small can influence our minds. 

I do know that it is important to not let the feelings and thoughts associated with depression take hold, so after waking up this morning and just wishing I could hide in bed all day- I got up and got in gear. I forced my way to being happy and cheerful by giving myself things to look forward to and getting out of the house for a couple of hours. I decided to avoid class work for today and by afternoon I was back to my normal self. 

I do know this- no more research papers on depression!

1 comment:

  1. Absolute lesson learned! The experience in and of itself is a truly amazing and powerful lesson on the power of the mind! I'm SURE this is why The Word leads us to always RENEW OUR MINDS!! :) Laughter, joy, peace are the things we also really really need as we walk the path... Thanks for posting this Stacy, very enlightening!

    Lessons & Laughter,
    Kathryn

    ReplyDelete