Two years ago I was diagnosed with Fibromyalgia, Gastroparesis and Hashimoto's Thyroiditis. I thought that these diseases were going to take over my life and that I would forever be overweight and unhealthy. Then something changed. I realized that this is my body and I have control over what goes in to it and that through changing my diet and workout habits I could take control. I have also spent more time in prayer and in scripture learning more about God and how much He loves me. I have been on an incredible journey for the past year and I want to share it with everyone!

Monday, March 21, 2011

Building Musle to Burn Fat

I love exercise and I want you to love it too. But, I know that there are a lot of myths and truths floating around, so this week I would like to share a few things that I have learned that work. Today I want to talk to you about building lean muscle mass to burn bulky fat.

Do you run for hours a week on a treadmill with no results? Do tons of cardio, but feel like you are stuck? That’s because you need muscles to get rid of that fat! Yes, I want YOU to life weights, use resistance bands or do a workout that uses your own body as resistance!

I tried the cardio mostly approach last summer and didn’t get much results, that's because muscles help you burn up to 60% more fat than doing cardio alone. This time around, I looked at it differently. I started doing weight-lifting exercises mostly and within the first three weeks I had lost 4 pounds, but more than that, I lost a total of 8 inches off my body and 2.9% of my body fat. Now two weeks later I have lost even more and I am getting ready to change up my routine.

To build muscle you can use free weights such as dumbbells or resistance bands that you can buy at most major stores like Wal-Mart, Target or K-Mart. There are also exercises that use your own body mass. For me, I have been using dumbbells because that is what works well. Resistance  bands do work well, just make sure before you buy a bunch of them that you enjoy using them.

You should find something that you love doing- I do Chalean Extreme and I LOVE it! I know others that do different programs and love those. You can also have someone show you or go on-line for how to tutorials or even get a good fitness magazines and learn good form for easy exercises that you can do in your home every day. If you want to go to the gym, that works too.

I have also found, through Chalean Extreme, that you can do minimal amount of reps and still get great results. You can do 10-12 slow, controlled reps with the highest weight you can do and build muscle. I see new muscle definition all over my body and I love it!

I know some of you ladies may also be worried about bulking up, but don’t fear, you can build beautiful muscles without looking like a man. Most women have to work really hard to ever look like a body builder, but if you are doing 30 minutes 3-4 times a week, you aren’t going to have to worry about that.

Remember, getting in shape doesn’t have to be mentally exhausting as well. It should be fun, self-rewarding through the results that you will start seeing within the first 2-3 weeks and it should help you feel better.


No comments:

Post a Comment