Two years ago I was diagnosed with Fibromyalgia, Gastroparesis and Hashimoto's Thyroiditis. I thought that these diseases were going to take over my life and that I would forever be overweight and unhealthy. Then something changed. I realized that this is my body and I have control over what goes in to it and that through changing my diet and workout habits I could take control. I have also spent more time in prayer and in scripture learning more about God and how much He loves me. I have been on an incredible journey for the past year and I want to share it with everyone!

Tuesday, March 29, 2011

Too much calcium...

I was surprised to find out that you can have high calcium blood levels!!! I had never heard of it before, but I was diagnosed with it two weeks ago... and I also found out a lot about the parathyroid glands. I have also found out that my fibro issues could actually be caused by my high calcium levels. High calcium blood levels are bad, bad, bad... the calcium doesn't come from your food intake--- nope, it comes from your bones!

Your body is literally leaching the calcium from your bones! It also effects your muscles and nerves, and can cause depression, bone pain, osteoperosis, muscle aches, problems with memory and concentration, kidney stones,interfer with your sleep making it difficult to fall asleep and to stay a sleep and last, cause issues with your heart.

The bad news- most doctors don't check younger patients calcium levels. It is normal for people in their teens and twenties to have higher blood calcium levels but it is rarely normal for someone in her thirties to have levels out of the 9's.

Now onto the parathyroids- what are they? Isn't that the same as the thyroid? Well, no! Your parathyroid glands are called this because of where they are located- infront of or behind your thyroid gland- that's all. They are important though- no they don't control just about everything like your thyroid does- but they have the important job of regulating the calcium in your blood so that it doesn't go to high or two low. It also regulates your phosphorus levels, so it if you have low phosphorus levels, get your calcium levels checked because chances are the phosphorus is actually sticking to the high levels of calcium because it hitches a ride with your calcium through your blood stream.

So, if the parathyroids are suppose to regulate calcium, then how do you get high calcium levels? Well, it is usually caused by a rogue parathyroid gland that grows out of control. It gets tired of being the size of a grain of rice and for unknown reasons, it takes off. It doesn't get huge, maybe the size of a peanut to a walnut, but it causes major problems.

For more information please check out www.parathyroid.com

No comments:

Post a Comment