Two years ago I was diagnosed with Fibromyalgia, Gastroparesis and Hashimoto's Thyroiditis. I thought that these diseases were going to take over my life and that I would forever be overweight and unhealthy. Then something changed. I realized that this is my body and I have control over what goes in to it and that through changing my diet and workout habits I could take control. I have also spent more time in prayer and in scripture learning more about God and how much He loves me. I have been on an incredible journey for the past year and I want to share it with everyone!

Saturday, April 2, 2011

Food Weakness


Food weaknesses- we all have that one thing that we struggle with. For some it is fried foods, for others it is ice cream and yet for others it is something totally different. For me it is chocolate! I LOVE CHOCOLATE!!! I used to not like it at all, but since my hysterectomy in 2006 I have fallen in love. I truly wish that it was something else that wasn’t full of sugar, but I am sure that the sugar has something to do with me being head-over-heels in love with chocolate.

Something that I have learned is that you can’t fall out of love with a food that brings you joy- if you deny yourself you are just going to make wanting it ever worse. You will think about, day dream about it and then end up eating a whole bunch of it at one time- like I just did. Well actually it was one ice cream sundae cone, the kind that you get at the grocery store. My oldest wanted them and I gave in knowing that I would covet one. It wouldn’t be so bad if it had a small amount of chocolate but we are talking a chocolate waffle cone, chocolate ice cream with chocolate syrup inside, with a chocolate shell with chocolate crispies on top- total chocolate over load!!! I know, bad, bad, bad!!!!!!!!! I have to be honest- I am very ashamed of my actions!

I do actually have a way to help control my craving that I usually go to- I eat 2 Dove Dark Chocolates a day, but unfortunately I am out and I blew off picking up more while we were at the store getting the ice cream for the kids. I even told my sweetie that I needed to pick some more up while we were there, and then just went the other way. I was setting myself up for failure….

The good news is, I can put this behind me and move on from it. One diet mistake doesn’t mean total failure at eating healthy and I am not going to let my moment of weakness bring me down. Every single person has one, and every one gives in to them occasionally, but what you do after it is what counts. Do you give up and start eating that way all the time or get back on track and try harder the next time. You have to give in to some cravings and find small ways to do it. If you love ice cream, find a healthier alternative. If you love French fries, allow yourself a few every now and again, and if you love chocolate like I do, make sure you have some dark chocolate (at least 71% of cocoa) on hand but be sure to limit it as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment