Two years ago I was diagnosed with Fibromyalgia, Gastroparesis and Hashimoto's Thyroiditis. I thought that these diseases were going to take over my life and that I would forever be overweight and unhealthy. Then something changed. I realized that this is my body and I have control over what goes in to it and that through changing my diet and workout habits I could take control. I have also spent more time in prayer and in scripture learning more about God and how much He loves me. I have been on an incredible journey for the past year and I want to share it with everyone!

Sunday, April 10, 2011

Tortilla Soup with or without chicken.

Everyone in my house loves this recipe. The best part is that it is healthy!

28oz can of tomato sauce
4 cups of low fat/reduced sodium chicken broth
2-3 cups of water
1 can of dark red kidney beans
1 can of black beans
2 cans of corn
1.5 tsp of cummin
3 tsp of chili powder
either 3-4 cloves of garlic sauteed with one onion
or 1 tbs of garlic and onion poweder (or chopped dried onion)
2-3 chicken breast poached and shredded (optional)
tortilla chips
cheddar, mexican cheese blend or whatever cheese you like with your mexican and southwest flavored foods.

Combine all the ingredients except for chips and cheese in a large pot (at least 6 quarts) and cook for 30mins-1 hr. Add chips to your bowl, put soup on top and top with cheese. You can also put the tortilla chips on top instead of first.

Be sure to read over the ingredients of the tortilla chips that you buy so that you can get the healthiest option. Remember you only need a fraction of a serving. Also look for lower fat cheese and make sure that it doesn't have artificial ingredients. Again you only need a small amount, so don't go crazy and add a cup to one bowl of soup. 

2 comments:

  1. Oh yum! Im gonna try it. It is similar to the one I make but not exactly so Im gonna try this. I really like the recipe post, do you think you will be making this part of the blogs?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am definitely going to start making recipes a regular part. I hope that you enjoy, and remember, all my recipes can be tweaked to your own taste!

    ReplyDelete