Two years ago I was diagnosed with Fibromyalgia, Gastroparesis and Hashimoto's Thyroiditis. I thought that these diseases were going to take over my life and that I would forever be overweight and unhealthy. Then something changed. I realized that this is my body and I have control over what goes in to it and that through changing my diet and workout habits I could take control. I have also spent more time in prayer and in scripture learning more about God and how much He loves me. I have been on an incredible journey for the past year and I want to share it with everyone!

Monday, April 4, 2011

Willpower

I have been trying to write this blog for the past two weeks, but to be honest, I just haven’t known what to say. I have been struggling with it because my willpower hasn’t been as strong these past couple of weeks, but I have found it again.

I think that it is normal for us to go through periods where we lose our willpower and get off track, but you have to make sure that you get it back. It is very important to your health and wellness to find the willpower to walk away from the junk food and to turn to exercising. It can be so easy to say “I don’t want to do it” and even easier to reach for the cookies and ice cream than it is to slice up some veggies and fruit, but your body doesn’t need the refined sugar. Your body needs the yummy goodness that is hidden inside each and every fruit, nut and veggie that we have at our disposal.

Willpower is defined as a) self-control- the trait of resolutely controlling your own behavior and b) the unwavering strength of will to carry out ones wishes. As we see it involves having mental strength and self-control. It also involves carrying out what you want, so if you want to be healthy, no one else can control this and make you unhealthy. If you are overweight, it is up to you to make yourself a healthy weight, not your doctor. Anyone, no matter what size, can take control and have willpower to be healthy.

Have you lost your willpower? Do you want to get it back? Then only you can make that happen. I challenge you to find the willpower to change one thing about yourself today that you have been struggling with- I challenge you to find the willpower to stick it out and get back on track to a healthy you! Today I am going back to cutting all junk out of my diet. I let some of it creep back in, but today I am determined to kick it back out. I challenge you to do the same.

3 comments:

  1. Stacy, I happened upon your blog today. I am really inspired by your story. I have struggled with my weight for years and decided to have lapband surgery. I am down 40 lbs and have 35 to go. I still struggle with willpower but with the support of friends and family and my dear Jesus, I have gotten back on track.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Get a powerful reason why in front of you. and then affirm that you have what you want, by speaking out loud that affirmation and say it with belief and conviction. then do what it is you are affirming. speak as if you already have it...
    it is every day we can get off track and it is every day we must speak the words of affirmation.
    and to speak God's truth about ourselves. It is the Holy Spirit within you that gives you the willpower and control. Lean on him. He gives you the strength. even a little thing like saying, "Lord, help me make the right choice with my food in this moment."

    ReplyDelete
  3. Debi, I am so glad that you found my blog! I hope that it can be of some help to you. I know we all struggle at times and it helps to know that there are others out there that are going through the same.

    Suz, your advice is right on. I think at times we forget why we are trying to reach a goal and when we reaffirm it to ourselves it really does help. I also think realizing each and every day that we are God's creation and that He loves us even when we do lose our willpower and that He loves us when we get it back. My willpower has definitely come from Him. I would have never stuck it out this long without Him and giving him control over my life.

    ReplyDelete